Hey Power Girl,
You are just LOVING learning about what you should eat!
Your comments are all about what to eat and thanking me for my last few blogs which have focused on food.
You know from my past few blogs what carbs, protein and fats are.
You also know what our body DOES with them and why we NEED them.
By now you are also getting an idea of how much of these you need to eat.
Putting it together is a bit tough – I know.
I’m blessed to have parents in health-care who specialize in good nutrition.
I know how to eat well because my parents really practice what they preach and feed us the way they know will help us to be healthy and strong.
Eating well will mean you will look and feel great!
So I get that it is easy for me to eat well because my parents know exactly what to feed me.
But I want YOU to eat well because you know exactly what to eat too!
I am working on a nutrition book, meal plans and a healthy eating video.
This takes a lot of time and I will have all of these available to you as soon as possible.
I also know that YOU want this information NOW!!
So what I have decided to do today is to write about how I eat, to at least give you an even better idea of what healthy eating looks like.
Please use my food diaries for yourself. I don’t mind. As a matter of fact I want you to!
Okay so before I share my FOOD DIARY with you, I want to share with you some RULES I live by:
#1 I NEVER drink pop/soda or sugary beverages like juice, gatorade or lemonade. I never drink diet drinks with Aspartame (Nutrisweet) or Splenda. Experts know that Aspartame can lead to cancer and Splenda was discovered in a lab that was trying to create a new pesticide! The chlorinated sugar molecule (Splenda or sucrolose) tasted sweet and became the next best artificial sweetener. It is actually made at a drug company (not a food company) in the same city I live. Who knows if it is really safe? I don’t want to be the guinea pig!
#2 I DO drink water and a lot of it, or herbal teas that I’ll either drink warm or cold with just a teaspoon of Agave to sweeten it up a bit. My mom says you should take half your body weight (measured in pounds), and drink that many ounces of water every day. So if you weigh 120 pounds, you should drink 60 ounces of water. The more active you are, the more you should drink
#3 I eat 3 meals/day PLUS snacks in between my meals.
#4 I have proteins, carbs and fat at EVERY meal.
#5 I never eat carbs by themselves. I’ll always have a protein or fibre with my carbs.
#6 I never skip meals, especially breakfast.
#7 Desserts, candies and chocolate are NOT regular parts of my everyday eating. They are filled with empty calories and even though I really love them, I love ME more and I make choices daily to make ME healthy a strong. So desserts, candy and chocolates are things I only have on special occasions.
#8 I don’t eat fried foods. The fats that those foods have been fried in are RANCID and NOT good for you.
#9 If I eat fast foods I choose salads, chili, or subs, to make sure I get some protein and fibre.
#10 I eat when I’m hungry unless it is before bed. My body doesn’t need to be working on digesting food at night. My body needs the night to grow and heal.
Okay, so now that you know the basic rules that I follow.
Now let’s look at how I eat.
Many people eat differently on the weekends than they do during the week.
That is ok but I eat pretty much the same way the entire week.
A little confession though…my Nonna (that’s grandma in Italian) eats at our house every Sunday and she always has a dessert so I will usually have some dessert on Sunday nights. Always a small piece and never seconds.
Here are my food records. Use them for yourself or make adjustments based on the foods you like.
- Protein Shake (250 calories, 28g Carb, 23g Protein, 6g Fat)
- 1/2 banana with 1 – 2 tsp of almond butter
- 1 small can of tuna
- 1 slice of thickly cut whole-grain bread toasted
- carrot sticks (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small pear
- 1 egg hard boiled
- grapes (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup Pasta (my mom’s favourite is Spelt)
- tomato sauce (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 chicken breast
- Salad (about 1 cup of lettuce, onions, tomatos, cucumber ) with olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing (1tbsp)
- 6 almonds (sometimes if I’m hungry I’ll have 12)
- 2 sunny-side eggs
- fried in 1 tsp coconut oil (healthiest oil you can cook with)
- 2 small slices of ancient-grain toast
- 1/2 apple – Brooklyn had the other half
- 1 small greek yogurt
- Big salad (lettuce, tomato, 1/4 avocado, onions, around 4 black olives, cucumbers, 2 tbsp black beans, 2 tbsp corn, about 1/4 cup crushed baked corn chips)
- about 1 left over chicken breast cut up in pieces on top of salad
- I don’t put cheese on mine but 1 ounce of sharp old cheddar is Brooklyn’s favorite
- salsa dressing (1/4 – 1/2 cup salsa blended with 1 tsp of organic mayonaise)
- 2 tbsp hummous
- about 8 rice crackers
- 4 ounces broiled salmon
- 3/4 cup quinoa cooked in tomato juice
- 10 steamed Asparagus spears, drizzled with olive oil ( about 1 tsp) and salt and pepper
- 1 6-ounce glass of 1 % organic milk
- 1 apple dipped in 1 tbsp of almond butter
- 3/4 cup Jordan Muslei cereal (around 30 g carb)
- 1/4 milk blended with 1 scoop of protein powder (I do this to balance my protein with carbs)
- 1/4 of a big apple
- 1 high protein pancake (recipe will be on my next video)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- gourmet sandwich
- 2 thin slices whole grain bread
- 1 tbsp hummous
- 1/4 avocado sliced thinly
- thinly sliced veggies (onion, orange pepper, tomato)
- 8 ounces of 1% organic milk
- 1 slice black bean chocolate cake (super healthy, crazy yummy and has no actual chocolate, also on my next video)
- 1 large whole wheat flour tortilla stuffed with…
- 4 ounces chicken
- onions and peppers sauteed in olive oil
- 1 tbsp of grated cheddar
- 1 tbsp salsa
- 1tbsp plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream)
- mixed green salad (1 cup) with olive oil/balsamic dressing (1 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp granola cereal
***I take fish oil supplements, healthy kids vitamins and calcium supplements every day too!
So there you have it. Three days worth of examples of how I actually eat.
If you like this…just wait for my next video, and nutrition and meal plan book.
You’ll LOVE them!!!
Your friend and coach,